02 December 2009

Taken off the conservativehome.blogs.com Wonder How Long this Principle Will Be Kept to?

David Cameron apologises to the Commons for error over Islamic school funding

Beginning his response to the Prime Minister's statement on Afghanistan David Cameron has just said this in the Commons:

"Before turning to Afghanistan can I start by putting right something I got wrong last week? While the two Islamic schools I mentioned got government money while being run by people linked to the extremist group Hizb ut Tahrir, and while they did receive that money under a pathfinder scheme, it was not the pathfinder scheme concerned with combating extremism. I am sorry for the error. I believe when you get a fact wrong, you should put it right. But I continue to believe that it is wrong that taxpayers' money goes to schools run by extremists."

Let's hope such errors can be avoided in future but good on Mr Cameron for saying sorry. Smaller men never apologise.

Tim Montgomerie

No comments:

Post a Comment