16 January 2010

Cath Elliot - In the next decade, I hope global capitalism will end (So does George)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jan/02/goodbye-noughties-global-capitalism

...So instead, what I would like to see in the next 10 years is a genuine change in attitude towards all of the items on my shopping list. What I would like to see is national governments and international organisations genuinely committed to improving the lot of everyone on this planet, man, woman and child.

...Ultimately I guess what I'd really like to see is an end to global capitalism and to the corporate power that governs all our lives. What I'd like to see is a new international politics, one where greed and self-interest are discarded and where humanitarian concerns take precedence instead. Of course I don't expect us to have got that far by the end of the next decade, but some genuine commitment, some steps in that direction, surely that's not too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment