15 January 2010

Jonathan Darby was born in Tel-Aviv, 1984. At the age of 6 he emigrated to London with his family.


I have been looking at the phenomena of how brands and their visual aspects are taking over public space; leaving us less and less choice about what surrounds us.

I became interested in how activist support groups attempt to subvert corporate intentions and then themselves are consumed and deflected by the greater force of the capitalistic marketing. The power of brands seduces society and sucks and blinds with the pull of the plastic pop culture that supports this takeover and is becoming inescapable in modern day society.

As an artist, I am attempting to observe the inconsistencies that are evident in modern day culture and I believe that we are a branded nation.

It is evident that we are easily sucked into an anti-capitalist stance or hop on the bandwagon against the corporate giants yet we are completely and utterly seduced by them.

Whether I like it or not I am just as much part of this as I write this wearing my Nike trainers.

Our humanity is being diluted as we become one common indistinguishable mass that is easily manipulated to the benefit of capitalist intention. I have chosen to use myself in my work as I honestly believe that I am also the subject of this matter and the first steps to dealing with this is to be straight with myself as to my involvement in it.

I have incorporated references to a painting of Kaethe Kolwitz, ‘The Prisoners’ as she portrayed downtrodden, faceless humanity.

I have used a contemporary setting and have chosen my media carefully as I believe that stencil art has become another classic example of how corporate branding will disarm any reaction to it by incorporating the attack into its own culture.



No comments:

Post a Comment